Thursday 22 January 2015

The ideas and concepts I've applied to my assets.

The assets are a remake of assets within the distressed black mesa facility after its abandonment and evident destruction. Something I took note of when beginning the assets was that they needed to be very detailed at a head height level because they are going into a FPS game. I knew there were limitations in terms of the poly count, so I would have to use normal maps to add geometric detail to flat low poly assets.

The game that the assets would be situated in is a half life game. half life games don't really have an art style, instead they focus on making very realistic looking worlds. Each Half Life released by valve has been a leading example of graphical fidelity within the gaming industry. The textures within the games have mostly been photo textures (with exception to the combine and Xen textures). With this in mind, I have actively made sure to use a lot of photo textures in my work to make the materials appear realistic.

As the Brief describes, the third game would be 30 years after Half Life 2, which is 20 years after the events of Half Life 1, that makes the black mesa that the player is returning to at least 50-60 years old. So it's very important to make sure everything looks aged and worn down. Before I got to work, I established a setting, and a likely environment to which the assets would be located in. In the original Half Life (50-60 years ago) the setting already felt old, so I knew it would have to look much more worse for wear in my recreations. Also since the first game there has been an atomic explosion just above on the surface, and likely a massive Xen invasion within the facility, Along with probably 50 or so years of nothing. With this knowledge I assumed it was safe to say the power was defiantly out for the count, and that there has probably structural damage to some of the equipment. Some of the damage i've applied to the assets include a overheating explosion to the main cooling vent attached to the transformer, and various cracks and wire damage to the control panel.

I kept the colours consistent with both assets. From looking at a lot of assets within Half Life I noticed that there was a vast amount of military hardware and equipment, the main colours where dark greens and blacks. Also much of the lab equipment used the same colours. Most of the text is dark orange and yellow, on green and black panels and walls.

Along with all of this, much of the old underground facilities had a really rustic feel. So it was important to add rust, scratches and possible damage to some instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment