Saturday 31 January 2015

Hand painted textures

It was a good idea to start with base colours, from here I could estimate how close I was to achieving the colour pallet that the concept art was using, and I also had a canvas ready to add detail onto.
First off, I added a few highlights to give variation to the block colours currently being used, I generally used highlights, and placed them on the edges of the chest.
Next i started to add detail, it was tricky to get the style right, at first the grooves where too curved, and didn't give the angular look that most of the sky saga assets possessed, I reworked the grooves so that they have more variation but more straight lines. I used 3-4 layers to achieve this, I used a base layer where the initial groove was to be, with a layer of detail to go over that, then I had a layer to give a variation to the wood colour in between the grooves. I then used a 4th overlay layer to make the wood darker so there wasn't much contrast between the light and dark wood on the chest. My main goal for the textures is to create as little noise as possible, because sky saga is a very simple game in terms as aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment